Wednesday 7 October 2015

Glimpse: Looking in, looking out

In my part of the world Spring is a short season, to be enjoyed before the equinox and the gales. I try to cycle every day, and have just returned from an hour biking in the wind.

I started uphill and leaning into the wind. My head down, my gears down: it was hard work. That is enjoyable in a way - but the joy is in the work rather than the world around me. My focus is on the the body-length in front of me, the wind rumbling past my ears, senses limited to that tight bullet of awareness: the path coming up, the bike's gears, me.

But then there is the ride home: downhill and wind behind me. I sit up, a bigger sail for the wind. I see beyond myself and my own effort. The joy now is being part of creation. New lambs bouncing, or resting in preparation for bouncing. Glades of sunlight between huge dark totora, splashes of sunlit green on a canvas of black and brown and shaded leaves.

The willows broke into leaf several weeks ago and have already matured past that fluorescent lime green - but they excited new life in a solitary bonsai willow, blasted trunk, perfect minimal zen shape, fighting to survive, but breaking late into leaf.

The Monet magnolia flames are now being quenched by new leaves. But the oaks are just breaking into their tiny leaves - bronze shading the pale green - arthritic fingers of their branches still sharp, clawing at the sky.

A vivid kowhai - all golden flower on silhouetted branches - tiny leaves invisible.

And bird-sound everywhere, the earlier steady roar of the wind a whisper now as I am blown along at the same speed, just the hum of my tyres through the light gravel of the cycle path - and the invisible birds.

Further away are the hills, shadows and sun accentuating the anatomical nature of landscape: bodies sprawled in lazy postures, backs and bums, ribs and hips, spine and shoulders jumbled together in an orgy of shiney green and shadow.

Real joy: after my hard work and inward focus biking into the wind (and up hill!), the grace of sudden revelation: creation in bright light, pollination and quickening, wind-waves in the grass, even the hills alive with the bliss of new birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Epidemic of Hatred

I've been watching American politics - fascinated. The clear hatred people have for other people who are very similar to themselves ex...