Wednesday 16 September 2015

Thank you

Last weekend a large group of staff, parents, parish priests, and board members past and present, joined my wife Suellen, two of my children Jessica and Sara, and myself to celebrate my retirement from teaching.

I had not been looking forward to the the event - because it clearly ended my career of over 40 years in teaching.

But it was a wonderful and humbling night. The event was a formal dinner and everyone dressed for the occasion. There were many highlights with past staff joining present staff and partners, (some came quite some distance - thank you Leonie and my Jess.) 

MP Nick Smith was there looking very dapper and I was able to thank him for his assistance over the years.

Cardinal John sent a very flattering message with his Vicar for Education Jenny Gordon, and a wonderful certificate marking my career of 35 years in Catholic education.

With Robert Booth's help we remembered the "old days" of 15 years ago with humour, embarrassment and some nostalgia.

Jessica Le Bas read a stunning poem composed for the occasion and former dux, and our newest staff-member Roman Birch, sang a song he had composed (his latest album was released this week!)

More than 50 of our students sent messages of thanks and acknowledgement - and that included a number who had found secondary education a difficult process - but who had got through and are now thriving! That was moving and uplifting. 

Long-serving Board Chair Alan Hinton and Hostel Trust Chair Phil Donaldson spoke movingly of our progress as a school and hostel (as well as sharing a message from our patron Sir Pat Goodman), and Lewis Boyles also made sure we remembered past students who have died, and their legacy for the school.

The staff made significant presentations - and the Board also presented me with the challenge of making a pilgrimage across northern Spain: the 700km Camino (Way) to Santiago de Compostela. The city is one of the chief shrines of Christendom, built in the ninth century around the supposed tomb of the apostle James. 

It was a wonderful way to mark the end of my career - and I sincerely thank Denis, Shona, Kyle and Rebekah, Simon Pimm (driving the car of our very first Head of Arts, Rebecca) and the other organisers - and everyone who came or sent messages.

This is all new for me - but it was very moving, very affirming, and sent me on my way with a huge wave of friendship and love. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Epidemic of Hatred

I've been watching American politics - fascinated. The clear hatred people have for other people who are very similar to themselves ex...