Wednesday 26 August 2015

Controlling your left brain

If we want to have any control of our constant left-brain resentments and angers, our mental movies and replays, we need to develop skills and confidence through regular practice. Last week I mentioned some of the methods I use, and I have been asked to explain what I do to quieten my left brain and leave room for grace.

I try to fit in at least one 20 minute slot each day - but my choice depends on where I am and how tired I am. For instance if it is 2am and I am trying to get to sleep I use the Jesus prayer - and I use the beads by my bed to give my fingers something to do (I find the physical involvement helps my concentration). 

Here are four simple methods I use - and you can also use - to develop skill in turning your left brain down when you need to for your own peace of mind (literally), or to develop a better relationship with our Creator. And they are just techniques: they work when my faith is strong - but they also work when I doubt or am feeling negative.

I. 
The Jesus prayer (or you could use the rosary, or any repeated brief prayer). 

I first came across the Jesus prayer in J. D. Salinger's Franny and Zooey (about two kids of a talented but eccentric Catholic family) when I was at St Bede's in the 60's! 

The Jesus prayer is a repeated brief prayer that allows us to deaden our left brain and be open to God. An anonymous Russian Orthodox pilgrim
 from the nineteenth century uses and explores the prayer in The Way of a Pilgrim

The pilgrim's inner journey begins when he becomes obsessed with the words of Paul (I Thessalonians 5:17) to "pray without ceasing." He visits churches and monasteries to try and understand how to follow this clear instruction.

His travels lead him to a starets (a spiritual teacher) who teaches him the Jesus prayer - "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me" - to be repeated all day(!) as the pilgrim walked, until it became part of him and echoed his heartbeat. I have adapted the words to fit my personal experience of Jesus.

2.
Focus on my breathing ... so I can clearly see when my left brain sends in resentments, jealousies, mind movies, re-runs of my day. See "We have two minds" - from an earlier post. 

3.
Centering prayer. 
This form of prayer requires a quiet place (best to be the same place each day). Begin by asking God's help - and then concentrate on your focus word. You need to deliberately empty your mind, and then insert a simple focus word such as "God" or "Love". As left brain thoughts come (and they will!) gently note them, then gently push them away and return to your chosen word.

4.
Use this line from Psalm 46: "Be still and know that I am God". Begin by breaking down this line - and then stay with "Be" for five minutes (or up to 20 minutes). As left brain thoughts come (and they will!) gently note them, then gently push them away and return to just "being" with God - and God "being" with me.
Be still and know that I am God
Be still and know that I am
Be still and know
Be still
Be
There are other ways professional meditators (in the Catholic tradition this includes religious orders such as Trappists and Carmelites) calm their left brains using techniques such as chant and silence. But the four above are simple, and they seem to work for people with complex and demanding lives, and without the support network of a monastery. People like us.

Why bother?

That's the big question. I believe that we are each created deliberately by God - but we are placed in a busy world full of distractions, and we each need to work out ways to find our selves, our purpose, and our relationship with our Creator. These techniques take less than 20 minutes a day, and they work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Epidemic of Hatred

I've been watching American politics - fascinated. The clear hatred people have for other people who are very similar to themselves ex...